Does Window Film Save Energy?
With energy costs on the rise, people are looking for ways to save energy and lower their bills. The goal…to keep the house warm in the winter and cool in the summer without breaking the bank.
One option is to replace your windows with newer, energy efficient windows. But that can be a costly solution, and if your windows are still in good condition, it’s probably not the right solution for you.
A lot of people are turning to energy saving window film, which is a much easier, more cost effective option. But if you’re considering this option, I would recommend you purchase film that comes with a lifetime warranty and have it professionally installed.
Types of window films that are designed to improve insulation and solar control are:
- Fine metal or ceramic film – Because ceramic is probably one of the most heat absorbent and durable elements, it is a natural material to be found in window film. If offers high clarity, is very reflective and is unbeatable when it comes to blocking the heat.
- Dual reflective or metalized film – Film that is infused with microscopic pieces of metal reflects the UV light and heat much the same as a mirror does. This will reduce the glare and heat from the sun, giving you a better outside view. Another benefit is that it gives you enhanced privacy, because of it’s reflectiveness, it’s not as easy for people outside to see inside.
- Pigmented or dyed film – The blend of dyes and pigments used in this film will absorb the rays of the sun, but will not reflect it because it does not appear as a mirror from the outside, so your windows will have a more natural look. It is also a bit less effective than film that has been metalized.
Benefits of window films…
- Because they block the sun’s UV rays, you will experience less glare and fading on your furniture and carpets. Your health will also be protected by reducing your exposure to harmful UV rays.
- Many cities offer tax rebates to people who are trying to make their homes more energy efficient. Having window film installed could qualify you for a rebate.
- Your energy bills, both electric and gas, could be lowered as you use your furnace less in the winter and your AC less in the summer, because your window film is helping to keep your home’s temperature closer to where it belongs.
- Window film will add strength to your window panes, and lower the risk of breakage or shattering.
In a future article, I’ll talk about how to clean your windows that have window film.
I have been cleaning windows in the Seattle area for nearly 30 years, and quite frankly, I enjoy it! I can also help you with your gutters and other outside tasks. I will be happy to answer all of your questions, and I know the mistakes to avoid. I clean private homes or apartment complexes.