How To Clean Your Windows When It’s Sunny
In several of my blog posts where I have talked about window cleaning tips, I have always said not to clean your windows when it’s sunny…today, I’m going to contradict myself and share some ideas that will help you clean your windows if you must clean them when the sun is out.
If you need to clean your windows when it’s sunny, your greatest challenge will be to prevent streaks, smears, and shadows from forming. The reason you get them is because the sun dries your cleaning solution too quickly, before you can squeegee it off.
So, you will have to act quick and smart and…
Use these simple and easy tips on a sunny day:
- Don’t let your cleaning solution dry – This may be easier said than done, but it can be done…the minute you have covered your window with solution, grab your squeegee and swipe it off immediately. If you can, use both hands for this process, wipe on with one hand and squeegee off with the other. You may not be great at it at first, but practice makes perfect.
- Use less soap in your solution – This is a tip for those who make their own window cleaning solution. Using more soap causes a quicker rate of evaporation. You may consider using products that are slow to evaporate.
- Use more water – By diluting your cleaning solution with more water, you will reduce the amount of streaks you would normally get while cleaning in the sun. Extra water causes the solution to dry slower. If you’re making your own cleaning solution, simply add more water to the mixture than you normally would.
- Use warm water – Sometimes, even when using these tips, the solution still dries too quickly. If that happens to you, soak the window with warm water and try again.
- The best tip I can give you is to call a window cleaning professional…they know all the tips and tricks for cleaning windows and they will do the job right so you don’t have to.
I have been cleaning windows in the Seattle area for 30 years, and quite frankly, I enjoy it! I will be happy to answer all of your questions, and I know the window cleaning mistakes to avoid. I clean private homes or apartment complexes.