How Effective Are Magnetic Window Cleaners?
You’ve seen them in the store or on TV. Magnetic window cleaners look pretty cool…like they would make the job of cleaning your windows so much easier. But for some reason you have put off purchasing them, do they appear too good to be true?
What are magnetic window cleaners if you haven’t seen them before? They are 2-sided tools made of plastic, with strong magnets and sponges on the sides. The magnets are used to attach each side of the tool to together on both sides of the window pane, so they will move across the window together, cleaning both the inside and the outside.
They are clever, unique, and very innovative, but there are some reasons why they may not be the best tool for cleaning your windows.
Reviewers of the magnetic window cleaners have said:
- They can create a safety hazard – If you are trying to clean a window that doesn’t open, it will be necessary to attach one side of the tool to the outside of the window, using a ladder. Anytime a ladder is involved, there can be danger. Additionally, cleaning windows above the ground floor can be hazardous if you have to lean out the window to place the tool in position.
- Some magnets are too powerful – People’s fingers or other parts of their body have been pinched or nearly pinched if the two sides of the cleaner get so close to each other that they slam together.
- It can be time consuming – In order to work properly, the magnets need to be very strong, which makes moving the cleaner a difficult, slow process, and you will need to develop a technique to get the job done.
- Sometimes the window can be scratched – Because the magnets have to be so strong, often when they are sliding along the window, they don’t slide so easily, and the pressure that needs to be used can leave scratches on the glass.
- The cleaner can break – If the magnets become stuck to each other, pulling them apart can be very difficult, and the force you will need to use will often break them.
- The magnets don’t always hold – Sometimes the magnets don’t always stick when placed on the window, the outside part of the tool keeps falling off.
- Not good for tall windows – The device can’t be attached to a handle in order to reach the top of some windows, so a ladder is needed.
- Left streaks – If the magnets aren’t strong enough for both sides to make a good connection, your windows will be left streaky.
- Entire window may not get cleaned – It’s difficult to get into the corners of your window to get them clean.
Magnetic window cleaners may not be the solution you are looking for to get the job done right. If you’re looking for an easier way to get your windows beautifully cleaned, give me a call….
I have been cleaning windows in the Seattle area for nearly 30 years, and quite frankly, I enjoy it! I can also help you with your gutters and other outside tasks. I will be happy to answer all of your questions, and I know the mistakes to avoid. I clean private homes or apartment complexes.