Tips For Cleaning Your Windows Without Streaks
Is there anything more frustrating than spending several hours cleaning your windows, then when you step back to admire them…instead of seeing clear shiny windows, you see streaks!
So now what? Do you clean them again or just live with it?
Neither one of those options seem acceptable. So here are some tips so get it done right the first time:
Clean your windows without streaks…
- Let’s begin with they type of window cleaner you are using. Cleaners that are based with alcohol or ammonia should be avoided. You would think those two ingredients would be great for cleaning windows, but in fact, they can actually leave a film on your windows, which will attract moisture and dust.
- When choosing a window cleaner, there are very good commercial cleaners on the market, but you should purchase one that is a brand you are familiar with and trust.
- There are also some very good vinegar based, make-your-own cleaner recipes too.
- What kind of cloth are you using to clean with? A microfiber cloth is probably the best type of cloth to use, because they are not only gentle, but they also don’t leave any lint or dust behind. You should avoid using paper towels, or cloth from old clothing, because they not only leave behind lint, but will also attract dust.
- Before cleaning your outside windows, if there is heavy dirt buildup, heavy cobwebs, or bird droppings, be sure to remove them.
- Master the art of using a squeegee…there is no better way to clean your windows and avoid streaks. Keep your squeegee dry, between each stroke wipe off the blade to avoid watermarks and streaks.
- Choose the right time of day to clean your windows…whenever it’s a little cloudy or shady is best…direct sunlight dries out your cleaning solution too quickly, and leaves you with streaks.
- If you are using a bucket with cleaning solution in it, empty it periodically and replace with clean water and solution. Once your water becomes dirty, it can leave deposits of dust and dirt on your windows which will create streaking.
- Distilled water is the best for cleaning your windows, because any minerals, that could leave streaks, have been distilled out.
- The best way to get clean windows without streaks (and save yourself a lot of effort), is to hire a professional window cleaner…it’s what they do!
Not everyone likes cleaning their own windows, especially when you can’s get rid of the streaks, so don’t do it…
I have been cleaning windows in the Seattle area for nearly 30 years, and quite frankly, I enjoy it! I can also help you with your gutters and other outside tasks. I will be happy to answer all of your questions, and I know the mistakes to avoid. I clean private homes or apartment complexes.