Why And How You Should Clean Your Gutters Before Winter
I know we are still enjoying summer weather, and you don’t want to even think about winter. But it won’t be long before the trees start losing their leaves, and those leaves start filling up your gutters…and it’s never too early to plan.
Typically, depending on where you live, it’s recommended that you clean your rain gutter system at least twice a year. Here in the Seattle, Washington area, because of all the trees and foliage we have, that would be a good rule of thumb.
Before winter hits, is probably the most important time to have them cleaned for the following reasons:
- Clogged gutters stop the rain from exiting your roof as they were designed to do.
- Clogged gutters encourage insects to nest and breed in them.
- Clogged gutters get very heavy when they are weighed down with water from the rain, causing them to either break, or overflow…which can lead to damage to your walls, foundation, and landscaping.
- Clogged gutters can, during freezing weather, cause ice dams (icicles) to form, which can damage your roof and your attic.
It’s better to deal with cleaning your gutters, than to deal with the problems that clogged gutters can cause.
How to clean your gutters…
Not everyone has cleaned gutters before, so if you haven’t had the experience, here is a checklist of the fundamental steps of gutter cleaning:
- Begin by clearing out any and all debris that has collected in your gutters. You can do this by
- scooping it out
- if it’s dry enough you could use an air blower
- you could use a pressure washer – if you are using this method be sure to wear safety glasses
- Next, you’ll want to inspect your gutter system, looking for
- areas that the connections are weak and the gutter has pulled away from the house
- If there is damage beyond what you can repair, call a professional to look over the damage and give you suggestions on what should be done.
As you can see, getting your gutters ready for winter isn’t a complicated job, but it’s definitely an important one
Nevertheless, very few people enjoy cleaning their gutters, which is why gutters are neglected in the first place. So many hire a professional to climb up on that ladder and do the work for them. If this is you, give me a call…
I have been cleaning windows in the Seattle area for nearly 30 years, and quite frankly, I enjoy it! I can also help you with your gutters and other outside tasks. I will be happy to answer all of your questions, and I know the mistakes to avoid. I clean private homes or apartment complexes.